Tuesday, December 14, 2010

My Black Friday Shopping Adventure

This guest post from Margaret Mills

So I finally did it. I decided to wake up at 4 am, survive the freezing temperatures, and battle the crowds for my own Black Friday shopping adventure. It was a frigid, long, rewarding day. I decided to go to an early morning farmer's market this year to find some things for coworkers and could not have been happier with my choice.

Before the sun had even come up I drove by our local mall down the street. Cars were honking and lines were forming hours before the doors were open. Shoppers were battling one another for discount electronics and the newest hit movies, I decided to take a different route. While the farmer's market was fairly busy, everyone seemed to be enjoying the atmosphere and the season. There was no pushing or shoving, just friendly people selling some great products. I found a woman who made custom gift-baskets with homemade treats, drinks, and trinkets. I found a basket that was not only perfect for everyone on my list, but at a great price.

Warm and comfortable back at home, I plopped in front of my direct star tv and began thinking. This season I wasn't going to be about standing in lines and stressing myself out. This is the holiday season where I am going to slow things down and enjoy my family and friends. I am going to remember that the more time I am standing in lines means I will have that much less time in my own home.

No comments: